From high school dropouts to famous CEO’s, anyone can have a high IQ. Below is a list of ten celebrities who have used their smarts to achieve fame in film, music, and business.
1. James Woods: With an estimated IQ of 180, this well known actor is at the top of the list. As a young man, he scored a perfect 800 on his verbal SATs and a 779 on the math section. He is also an alumnus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and was twice nominated for an Academy Award for his roles in “Salvador” and “Ghosts of Mississippi.”
2. Quentin Tarantino: Despite dropping out of high school at the age of 16, this director is said to have an IQ of 160. A prolific filmmaker at an early age, he had a breakout hit with “Reservoir Dogs” in 1992 and has been writing, directing, and starring in films ever since. In 1995, he was nominated for an Academy Award for best director for “Pulp Fiction,” and won for best writing for the same film.
3. Bill Gates: He is best known for being the chairman of the now worldwide Microsoft corporation. With an IQ of 160, Bill began programming computers at the early age of 13. In 1975, Bill and a friend began Microsoft by writing programs for personal computers. By 2013, it was worth 67 billion dollars and employed about 100,000 people.
4. Sharon Stone: Reported to have an IQ of 154, actress Sharon Stone is most recognized for her role in “Basic Instinct.” A member of MENSA, she was nominated for an Oscar in 1996 for her role in “Casino.” She has also agreed to undertake a role as Hillary Rodham Clinton in an upcoming cable movie.
5. Geena Davis: With an estimated IQ of 140, this popular actress is well known for her intelligence. She has starred in “The Long Kiss Goodnight,” “A League of Their Own,” and “Beetlejuice.” She was nominated for an Academy-award for her role in “Thelma and Louise,” and she won an Oscar for her work in “The Accidental Tourist.”
6. Madonna: Born Veronica Ciccone, she left Michigan in 1977 to head for New York and stardom. Best known for her steamy performances on stage and social commentary, this singer/actress is reported to have an IQ of 140. She has starred in 22 films, held concerts all over the world, and is the second best selling female pop star with 63 million albums sold.
7. Shakira: This Columbian born performer is reported to have an IQ of 140. As a child, she impressed the adults around her with her ability to write thoughtfully and dance like a professional. Among her many awards are the two Grammy awards she received for “Donde Estan Los Ladrones” and her unplugged album.
8. Dennis Miller: An actor, stand up comedian, commentator, and radio host, Dennis is a man of many trades. With an estimated IQ of 135, his ability to improvise landed him a well known role as the Weekend Update anchor at “Saturday Night Live.” He is also a five-time Emmy winner for “Dennis Miller Live” which ran for nine years on HBO.
9. Jodie Foster: With an estimated IQ of 132, award winning actress Jodie Foster was the valedictorian of her 1980 high school class and went on to graduate magna cum laude at Yale. Reading by the age of three, Foster is also fluent in French, and dazzled such actors as Robert DeNiro with her performances at only 14 years old. In 1989 and 1992 she won Oscars for her roles in “The Accused” and “Silence of the Lambs.”
10. Alan Rachins: This actor played the role of Dharma’s father, Larry, on the comedy series, “Dharma & Greg.” He also attended the prestigious Wharton School of Finance. This MENSA member also portrayed Douglas Brachman on the hit TV series, “L.A. Law.”